Are you poisoning your animals??

Sodium triphosphate (STP, sometimes STPP or sodium tripolyphosphate or TPP,[1]) is an inorganic compound with formula Na5P3O10. It is the sodium salt of the polyphosphate penta-anion, which is the conjugate base of triphosphoric acid. It is produced on a large scale as a component of many domestic and industrial products, especially detergents. Environmental problems associated with eutrophication are attributed to its widespread use.

Used in detergents!

The majority of STPP is consumed as a component of commercial detergents. It serves as a "builder," industrial jargon for a water softener. In hard water (water that contains high concentrations of Mg2+ and Ca2+), detergents are deactivated. Being a highly charged chelating agent, TPP5- binds to dications tightly and prevents them from interfering with the sulfonate detergent.

Also used in human food, dog/cat food??

The uses of sodium tripolyphosphate also include using it as a preservative. It can be used to preserve foods such as red meats, poultry, and seafood, helping them to retain their tenderness and moisture. Pet food and animal feed have been known to be treated with STPP, serving the same general purpose as it does in human food.

This is another good reason to refrain from feeding dog or cat foods to monitor lizards. It contains the same chemical additives as most frozen sea foods. Now, logic and reason tells us that some compounds are safe in small doses, However the physiology of reptiles differ a great deal from mammals, we may consume trace amounts of these chemicals with no lasting effects, but remember that your lizard's liver and kidneys are much smaller than ours, and are often already stressed by husbandry issues.

Commonly posts will appear on the forums about feeding canned or packet dog food to monitors. On a recent trip to Wal Mart, I read the ingredients on several different brand names of dog foods, Virtually all of it contains Sodium Tripolyphosphate. It is very harmful when ingested repeatedly by reptiles.

Feed only certified chemical free foods

This is more than sufficient reason to avoid canned goods and pre-packaged seafood items, why would anyone want to feed their lizard detergent phosphate??

Quoted excerpt from material safety data sheet..

Swallowed - If ingested in large amounts, nausea, vomiting and diarrhea are probable. Moderately toxic by ingestion. Poisoning may affect the blood calcium level.

Prolonged contact may be irritating. Slightly toxic by skin absorption.

Burning sensation to nose, throat and eye. May cause sneezing and coughing.